A corrupted SD card exhibits several unusual behaviors or error messages, restricting you from accessing data on it. So, here's how to repair a corrupted SD card and extract all data from it.
FOR WINDOWS USERS
FOR MAC OS X USERS
It is so often that SD cards get corrupt due to one or the other reasons. During this problem, you will not be able to use or access the files that reside on the card. Generally, corrupted SD cards exhibit any of the below symptoms.
- Photos, videos or any other files missing from SD card
- “SD card is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?”, “memory card error”, “corrupt memory card” “read/write error”, etc. error while accessing files on the card
- Card not showing on camera, but showing on the computer. And, you cannot access its data etc.
- You cannot edit or copy data on SD card
- A black screen with “SD card is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable” error etc.
In this situation, one must carefully repair the card so that the files inside the card will not be damaged and regained easily. On this page, we offer simple ways to repair the damaged card without affecting its data.
How to Repair Corrupted SD Card?
Step 1# Remove the SD card from your device and try to use it on another gadget like a computer, camera, mobile phone etc. using a card reader. While using the SD card on your computer, make sure required drivers are installed.
Step 2# Run an antivirus scan on your corrupted SD card. Also, try to run CHKDSK on corrupted SD card using below instructions.
- Type cmd at the Start menu
- Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- Type chkdsk [your SD card’s drive letter]/r and hit Enter key
Now, CHKDSK checks for errors, bad sectors on the card and tries to fix the corrupt SD card.
Step 3# Open Disk Management from the Start menu. Right-click on your SD card (listed as removable) and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Hit Add or Change button. Choose the new drive letter for SD card, opt OK, and Yes.
If none of the above solutions fix your corrupted SD card then, you have to format it. But, formatting the SD card will cause data loss- it erases entire data from your card. So, first recover data from corrupted SD card safely, then you can format it.
FOR WINDOWS USERS
FOR MAC OS X USERS
How to Recover Data from Corrupted SD Card?
Step 1: Connect your SD card to the computer using a card reader, launch Remo Recover SD card recovery software and click on Recover Drives button.
Step 2: From the next screen, select Partition Recovery option.
Step 3: In the next window, you select the drive representing your corrupted SD card.
Step 4: After a deep scan, the SD card recovery tool shows all recovered data from corrupted SD card.
Step 5: Preview and Save the recovered data to the computer HDD.
Remo Recovery Software to Recover Your Lost or Deleted Data:
- Advanced scanning technology which scans the drive sector by sector and locates deleted data or lost data
- Its read-only property will not modify the original file during the file recovery process
- Provides a free trial version of the software for users to test the SD card data recovery session beforehand
- It supports both Mac and Windows OS; even various file systems
- Supports data recovery from a number of storage devices such as corrupted Memory card, pen drive, hard drive, external hard drive, flash drive and more
- The software is 100% free from virus
- Recover photos, videos, audio clips and other 300+ different file types
Tips to Avoid SD Card Corruption:
- Don’t capture pictures while the camera battery is running low
- Don't use SD card on virus-infected devices
- Avoid abrupt removal of SD card while it is being used
- Don’t use the same SD card on multiple devices