Listed below are some of the most important reasons why you would want to import PST files to Outlook.
- To move Outlook data from one PC to another or from one email account to another
- To move from PC to Mac or from Mac to PC
- To move Outlook data between folders and an Exchange Server
If you want to import PST file to Outlook, it is a pretty simple process. All you need to do is go to File menu in Outlook and click Import/Export. Then select your PST file to import and that’s it. This is in most cases a reliable means of importing Outlook data, but in some cases you may encounter problems and receive an error ‘Failed to add PST in Outlook 2016: Error 0x80004001’.
What causes this error and what are some of the best ways to resolve this error? All of these details will be covered in this blog post.
Solutions to resolve the error ‘Failed to add PST in Outlook 2016: Error 0x80004001’
Solution 1: Disable anti-virus temporarily
Certain anti-virus programs may interfere with some actions that you perform in Outlook. In this case, the anti-virus program could be interfering with you importing the PST file and contributing to the error ‘0x80004001’. In order to resolve this problem, disable the anti-virus temporarily and import the PST file. Now check if the error is resolved. If not, proceed to the next step.
Solution 2: Use Outlook’s safe mode
Using Safe Mode in Outlook opens it without add-ins and this will help you know if add-ins is the issue here.
To start Outlook in Safe Mode, follow the steps below.
- Click on the Start menu and select Run
- In the Run window, type ‘Outlook /safe’ and click Ok
Now see if Outlook starts in Safe Mode and try importing the PST file. If it is successful, we can conclude that add-ins is the culprit. In that case, you can disable add-ins in the standard Outlook mode by following the instructions below.
- Open Outlook and click File > Options > Add-ins
- In the Manage drop down menu, select COM Add-ins and click Go
- Make a note of the selected add-ins and clear all checkboxes, then click Ok
- Restart Outlook and once again choose File > Options > Add-ins
- Select the add-in that was selected earlier (use the notes in step 3) that you want to re-enable
- Repeat these steps until all the add-ins that were selected earlier are enabled. Now, if the error re-occurs, then you have found the trouble causing add-in.
Solution 3: Run Inbox Repair tool/Scanpst.exe
In order to fix the error ‘0x80004001’, corruption in PST files should be fixed. And this can be done using a built in tool called Inbox Repair Tool. This tool can resolve corruption due to PST size factors, software conflicts, virus/malware etc.
All you have to do is search for Scanpst.exe in File Explorer Search bar and select the PST file to repair. Your file will be repaired and the error ‘0x80004001’ will be fixed. Disable that particular add-in to solve the error ‘0x80004001’.
Solution 4: Use Remo Repair PST Software
If the PST file is severely corrupt, then Scanpst cannot repair the file. In that case, you can make use of dedicated PST repair tools like Remo Repair PST to repair the PST file. It is designed to solve all minor and major issues in PST files. Since, it works on a read-only mechanism, all your original data in the PST file will be kept safe. So you don’t need to worry about the PST file getting damaged/altered.
Remo Repair can also be used to resolve errors like Outlook PST file access denied, the set of folders cannot be opened, cannot start Microsoft Outlook etc.